Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools

April fools is a special bonding day for me and my mother. Admittingly, I play a mean and nasty joke on her that results, usually in a curse word and the sound of the receiver on the other end of the phone. After she realizes that I was only joking, it takes about a week and we're back to our usual mother-daughter relationship with a new story to joke about.

It started about 6 years ago when I was in College. I called to tell her I was getting kicked out of school for cheating on a paper. She was so ashamed. I had her in tears only to tell her APRIL FOOLS! Then the next year came, I was living in London and called to tell her I lost my passport. Furious, she assured me we'd get it all sorted out only for me to tell her once again- APRIL FOOLS! On and on it went, using car accidents and being pregnant- Yes, I know what you're all thinking. I didn’t know you could be so nasty, Megan. It's April Fools day everyone, a day when a little white lie is almost acceptable.

After the first year, I thought she'd mark the day on her calendar making sure it would never happen again, but sadly that's not the case. With my mother being a 9th grade teacher, I've got stiff competition. However, I've got the trump card- her telephone number. The trick is to make sure I'm the first one to get to her. Needless to say, it always happens before she goes to school in the morning.

I'm sure you're asking yourself- Why are you telling us all your secrets? Sadly, my mother has come to her senses. She must have marked the calendar this year. I got to the internet cafe promptly at 5:30pm (6:30am-NY time) to start the ball rolling for this years prank. As soon as she answered the phone, a quick I know it's April fools day came out of her mouth. My heart sunk. Well why not try it anyway, right? The conversation went something like this:

Mom: I know it's April fools day
Meg: Is that today? Oh
Mom: Yeah it is- anyways what’s going on?
Meg: I've a visitor- Dan came over from Thailand
Mom: You're kidding, that’s wonderful
Meg: And.... we're engaged!
Mom: MEGAN, Oh My GOD!!! Wait are you joking or are you serious?
Meg: Today IS April fools day mom
Silence- followed by more silence....

No Dan isn’t here and neither is the other part true, nor does Dan know I’d even planned on saying something like that. But I had to try to get her- I couldn’t go down without a fight.

Today was a turning point in my joke playing days on my mother. I think instead of using April 1st as a white lie day, I'll use it as a truth telling day, a special day to tell my mom just how much I love her (No mom, there is no April Fools followed by that) I love you and I cant wait to see you in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment