Sunday, April 17, 2011

A tourist once again

I havent opened up "the bible" in 2 months and yesterday I found myself eagerly flipping through the pages. "the bible" I'm referring to is the tourist bible, the lonely planet. I havent had to use it in Hoi An and it just feels wrong dusting it off the shelf and bringing it back into circulation.

After an over night bus to Hanoi, I checked into my hotel at 7am this morning. I couldnt muster up the courage to head out on my own until 10 though. I blame it on the lack of sleep on the bus, but really I forgot how uncomfortable it is to show up at a new place and not know your way around. So after a great breakfast and a quick shower at the hotel, I headed out to parouse the streets, the very very very busy streets on Hanoi.

I got into my grove after 5 minutes. Dan warned me it was tricky to get around but I think that's because I'm the one always reading the map to him so I didnt find it too much of a problem. I went up and down what felt like a million streets, each one selling something different. I made a tour around the lake and then headed up to the market. That's where I started to get the grunts of people and the hand waves of "get out of my shop". I decided to call it a morning and headed back to the hotel.

After a refreshing nap I headed back out again to see what else Hanoi has to offer. I'm eagerly awaiting my aunts arrival. But that's not until 11pm tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment