Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Here, There, Everywhere

For the last week we have been in the State of Karnataka. We headed to Mysore, known for it's palace, spice market and Sri K Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute. (The mecca of Ashtanga yoga, which is what I practice) Dan wasnt feeling so well, so we took it easy with a bunch of resting in between sight seeing. Once a week for a half an hour the palace is lit up at night and we were lucky enough to be there on that night! It was absolutely beautiful. People kept approaching us and asking if we wanted our picture taken. Politely i said no thank you. About 27 minutes into the lighting i glanced at someone's photo that they had taken. It was great quality and I thought about the mediocre pictures I had taken and decided I wanted one. We find a guy and the same second he takes the photo, the lights went out! It was too late! My mediocre pictures will have to do.

 The spice market was filled with fruits and veggies, fresh flowers, oils, incense, and of course our haggling friends. All and all it was a sight I would not have wanted to miss. We made it an everyday stop!
 We stopped in to see the Yoga Institute. Sri K Pattabhi Jois is a very famous yoga instructor (Madonna's teacher) who died in May 2009 at the age of 93. Quick picture for my friends back at Yoga Vermont!
 We treated ourselves to a Western lunch and enjoyed a deep dish cheese pizza. We were like little kids on Christmas morning!


After Mysore, we took a short train ride over to bangalore. I felt like I was in NYC, it's as modern as India gets. We were only there for a few hours but luckily we had enough time to check out KPMG offshore and buy a few gifts for you all at home!

We're now in Calcutta and I am enjoying having my own personal tour guide! For all of you that dont know, Dan spent 3 months here last year. He has been showing me around all day. We've been meeting old friends, getting clothes made (super excited) and enjoying local foods. We're off to enjoy our last week in India! Time flys when you're having fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment