Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 1 vs Week 2

We had three night's of sleeping in the new house before I started work. Sleeping patterns werent what they used to be. Bed came early, mornings came ever earlier and our king size bed at Ha's turned into a small double, with an even smaller blanket. I hardly slept and my eyes were open before the speaker went off. I got out of bed and headed out to the dark streets to find they were filled with Vietnamese doing their exercise regime.

I headed left out the gate to quickly be joined by everyone that passed me. There were giggles, there were smiles, I even got a few 'hellos and mornings'. We all walked in unison, up and down our street. This is how I met the neighbors. After 30 minutes, I headed back inside. Anxiety was all over my face. Luckily, Dan knew that would be the case and had breakfast all ready to go. I wore my best new work outfit, tried to towel dry my hair as best I could and mustered up the best smile that almost looked convincing. I couldnt believe I was going to work, accounting no less. It seemed unfair, Dan got to stay home and have fun while I had to dive back in to the thing I loathed the most, office work. Dan snapped a few "first day of work pictures" before the driver came and I was off.

Small chat in the car was all that I could bring myself to do. My hands were sweaty, my heart was beating fast, anxiety was in full force. As we pulled up to the office building, I took a deep breath, climbed a flight of stairs and found an office filled with Vietnamese accountants with big smiles on their faces. As each one introduced themselves, I forgot each of their names within seconds. What a great co-worker I am.

I was paired up with Salvador or Buddy, as no Vietnamese person can actually say Salvador. He's from the Philippians and I will be replacing him when he leaves in a month (now 2.5 weeks, but whos counting) My job for the next month is to learn everything Buddy does, make it simpler, as he seems to complicate things, including how he teaches me, and then be able to replicate any task needed of me for the following two months until I am replaced by another full time Westerner. Easy, right? Well, my anxiety didnt go away. I had first day of work blues. I second guessed my decision to return back to work all day but somehow kept the smile on my face, nodded when it seemed I should, and  asked somewhat insightful questions.

As we returned home from work, we being my boss and me,(Oh yes- did I forget to mention I ride to and from work with my boss everyday. Wouldnt you all like to do that??) It sounds bad, but my boss is an amazingly friend New Zealand man, with a family we have grown to love over the past year, so much easier than it sounds. As we pulled up home, Dan was waiting with dinner on the table and a smile. He must have known it was going to be tough. With dinner came words of encouragement. Day 2 and 3 passed, the weekend flew by, but week 2 was a total change from week 1. I actually enjoyed it. It's going to be work for sure, but the atmosphere is relaxed, the people are friendly, and I already have a handful of funny stories to share.

The main accountant I work hand in hand with is Ms. Phuc (Fuck)........ Stay tuned.

1 comment: